Saturday, September 6, 2008

Orange City, Iowa Farmer's Market



These were the finds at the Orange City Farmer's Market this weekend. There were lots of potatoes, onions, apples, and squash available as well, but I have been cooking with a lot of those recently and I think I am going to make a homemade pasta sauce tomorrow. So between these tomatoes and the ones from my garden I think I am in good shape. I also picked up some free-range organic chickens from one of the vendors. Though it comes skinless and cut up it is a great deal and looks lovely. I can't wait to use those. Of course it would not be the Farmer's Market if I did not get some baked goods from my friend Mary.


She always does fresh baked bread, but this time she outdid herself and made the best Lavender Almond Tea Cakes. I don't know where she finds the time. But all together it was a great Farmer's Market for Orange City.

Roux even came too to see what was going on.

3 comments:

Aimée Korver said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Friend, I didn't realize I was posting as you. Sorry!

Did you like the chicken? I was planning on picking some up later this month. I like the idea of it having no antibiotics or hormones.

I'm glad you liked the tea cakes!

Aimée Korver said...

Yeah Mary, I actually really enjoyed the chickens so far. We ate some twice this week and saved the bones for stock. The texture and flavor is just so different from regular grocery chickens. It is a much different Chicken experience. It is definitely much leaner, so cooking it in some type of liquid is probably the best. I would definitely say that it is worth getting the chickens though, especially before winter to have some good stock on hand. Good luck this weekend at the Market, if you make any more cookies save me some.