Monday, February 23, 2009

It's Carnival Time...And Everybody's havin' fun, including me.



This is certainly the time of year when the saying "Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans"? rings so true in my ears. My Ipod was on shuffle last week and stumbled over some Professor Longhhair. Tears began to well in my eyes as my hips swayed back in forth to a rhythym that only the booming drums and glorious horns from the Mardi Gras marching bands could exude. Those memories of walking the streets, waiting for parades with the smells of crawfish and beer in the air. Or even younger memories of helping my dad suit up in costume to ride on his float and then staying up to see him all glittering and grinning and getting bombarded with beads, cups and dabloons from every angle. We would run after his float just to get one more glimpse and hopfeully some more loot as he would ride past us to the next anxious observers. There are so many wonderful memories of Mardi Gras that have spanned my life time, it is truly a past time for the young and old.

This year though, I didn't have to miss out on all of the fun. My family friend Stefanie Wiedemann is making traditional New Orleans King Cakes and is selling them on the internet. They are called, "My Sister's King Cakes"


Stefanie is a true New Orleanian and she has done me so right this year by sending me this delicious king cake, which I must say is already gone. So Stefanie, thank you so much. I hope you are so proud of yourself and the piece of art that you created, you just made another New Orleans memory for me possible.

No comments: