Thursday, October 23, 2008

Fall Inspirations...



Fall is in full effect here. The leaves are golden and falling everywhere and with that comes sqash and pumpkin season. Luckily we live in a town that has a large pumpkin patch and every fall they turn it into pumpkinland. I had to get a pumpkin for carving, but I don't cook with a lot of pumpkin (because it is such a large scale process), so I bought a bunch of squash. After looking for some recipes, I found one for a pumpkin humus, but instead of pumpkin I used acorn squash and doctored the recipe up a bit. This lead me to also exploring making my own pita bread, since our town DOES NOT SELL PITA BREAD AT ALL. However, this turned out to have a pleasant outcome. I used a recipe for Pita Bread from the Joy of Cooking and it wasn't really that difficult. The fresh pita bread was great with the humus and it was a fun cocktail hour at our house that night. Here is the outcome






RECIPE for Acorn Squash Humus

1/2 Acorn Squash roasted for one hour at 375 degrees
16 oz can of chickpeas
3/4 cup of tahini
the juice from 3 lemons
3 tbs olive oil
3 cloves garlic
bunch parsley
bunch green onions
1 tsp tamari
1 tsp agave nectar
salt and pepper to taste

Blend all together in a food processor and enoy with pita bread, tortilla chips, or with fresh vegetables.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fresh pita is so good. I'm in the mood to make it again. I sold one package at the farmer's market the only time I brought it. People have no clue what it is out here.