Monday, June 22, 2009

A Passion for Beads



I have always loved jewelry and the idea of decorating myself with accessories, which only naturally brought me to the discovery of beading and making beaded jewelry. I blogged in the past about a five part documentary series called World on a String, that I found to be fascinating on so many levels, because it really brought history, world cultures, art, and beading all together in one forum that gave it a much more rich meaning to me than ever before. My intrigue has been growing ever since and I have purchased (some in person, but mostly via internet) beads now from villages and towns all around the world: from China, Africa, the Philippines, Europe, and America. It is truly amazing what is being done with beads now adays and how important they are to so many people. So to further my understanding of the Art I am currently working on setting up a Lampworking studio, for making and creating my own beads. It is a beautiful art form, that is laced with mysticism. Why for so long, dating back to neanderthal man with bone and natural beads, have people adorned themselves with beads? So as I go through my trials and tribulations I will try and keep you all updated and hopefully I will be able to create some wonderful things, like these below.

No comments: