Monday, August 17, 2009

Tomatoes... the possibilities are endless



My garden has been popping lately with all kinds of things, but my favorite vegetable of the bounty is tomatoes. I love tomatoes and used to eagerly look forward to the Creole Tomato season in New Orleans, but there are many kinds of wonderful tomatoes out there, and many ways to use them in cooking. So more recently I have been trying to invent my own recipes, using my new favorite book called, The Flavor Bible.



The Flavor Bible lists by alphabet every naturally found food that exists and gives you flavor pairings, great combinations, and even certain great recipes from top chefs, on what compliments the certain food. I have been using this now "religiously" when cooking anything and have come up with some great recipes. Recently, I cooked with Kohlrabi for the first time and came up with a gratin that was out of this world. But with my tomatoes I experimented some and came up with this creation:



Baked Green Tomato Napoleans with Spicy Tabasco Remoulade Sauce

I have not gotten to the part of actually writing down the recipes as I make them, so that will have to be my next goal, but I did coat the Tomatoes in Grape Seed oil, salt, and pepper, and then dredged them through a mixture of Panko, parmesan cheese, and fresh basil. I then broiled them until they were crispy. For the layering of the napolean, I used herbed goat cheese- (whatever herbs were available in my garden) and mixed them with goat cheese, then layered that with between three tomatoes and broiled that some more. The remoulade is really where I lost track of what was put in it, sorry. If you have any interesting tomato recipe suggestions, please send them to me. Thanks and happy cooking.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like everyone is thinking about tomatoes! That looks so delicious, I made some traditional fried green tomatoes, but never thought about stacking with goat cheese and roumalade. So wonderful! I let you know if I try your napoleons.

mina said...

That looks amazing!

Andrew Thornton said...

Your blog is delicious!